Friday, March 10, 2017

Take Two

Greetings and Hallucinations!



And by hallucinations, I mean it may feel like you’re seeing things that just aren’t there when you see this blog post. “Wait – is she really blogging again or is this  a figment of my imagination?” Or maybe you don’t put that much thought into a ten-minute quick read about service dogs every now and then. At any rate, I can’t believe October was the last time I wrote!




Ok, I believe it. I’m just a little disappointed. But that’s all right, I’m here now, and I’ve set a calendar reminder so hopefully I’ll write a little more regularly. I have a list of issues and events worth covering, so it’s not as if I’ll run out of content trying to do a regular piece. But enough about me and my writing habits, on to the doggy stuff! Yes, I have more pictures.






Here’s Miss Greta with her nose pressed up against a Boeing 757 (I think) as we landed in Seattle, Washington this past December. My housemate and I flew out west to visit my parents in the idyllic town of Leavenworth, Washington, and decided to do some sight-seeing in Seattle on our way there. But before you get more cute puppy pictures and stories, let’s count up how many trips and changes Greta has gone through just in 2016, because that’s the lead-in for the main topic of this blog post: Greta’s stress behaviour development and resolution.




1)                April 6, move into the House at TSE and meets her new handler, after living in the TSE kennels.
2)                April 26th, moves to Alabama with me
3)                June 30, flies to Oregon with me
4)                July 29, flies back to Alabama with me
5)                August…some date toward the end, spends a night in Birmingham with me, then returns to the house in Huntsville
6)                December 13, flies to Seattle, WA with me
7)                December 14, takes train to Leavenworth with me
8)                December 18, takes the train back to Seattle, WA with me
9)                December 19, flies back to Huntsville with me

 

That’s nine different places she’s slept in, eaten in, traveled to in the last year. Would your two-year-old start acting out in the fact of that much uncertainty about home? Mine did! Greta decided that, while riding in the car, all motorcycles, pedestrians, bikes, and dogs were a threat to her family’s security, and she guarded her borders jealously. Her alert system comes with battle klaxons if someone gets too close – she barked and growled. It wasn’t the most ferocious sound I’ve heard a shepherd make. It wasn’t angry, but most certainly a warning. “Back away from my territory, now!’ She also decided that running children ought to be herded together. The exhibition of this decision, however, tends to make mothers who don’t speak “dog” nervous, because it involves herding behaviours such as barking and lunging.




Prada did none of these things. She was an incredibly laid-back German shepherd, as it turns out. My trainer at TSE told me that they give first-time shepherd people “less sheperdy” shepherds because the breed is so very…ardent about its traits that it can feel a little overwhelming to a first-time shepherd user. Honestly, it felt a little overwhelming to a second-timer! I called TSE, a knot in my stomach over what I believed was too aggressive behaviour for a service dog. Would  they send a trainer to reassess her? Would I have to give her up? To my utter amazement and relief, however, the trainer with whom I spoke acted as if this was a call he got every day. “Just keep the gentle leader on her every time you work for the next two weeks, then start reducing it by degrees,” he said. “It’ll calm her down and make your corrections more effective.” Well, I was still in Oregon at that point, and in two weeks I’d get on a plane to Alabama. I decided to extrapolate the trainer’s advice and keep the leader on every time we worked for the next four weeks, then start reducing.




It worked. I was astonished. Two months ago Greta and I walked around a corner in the hallway at church, and a small child dashed out right in front of us and Greta simply stopped to avoid a collision, waited for the child to get out of the way, and continued on. Nine times out of ten when a pedestrian or dog comes near the car she only sits up and looks at him. Same with a motorcycle or bicycle. If she’s stressed from something else earlier in the day, she might bark once or twice, but she settles right down when I scold her. I love my gentle leader! I love it, I love it, I love it! It’s an incredibly powerful tool, when applied properly. Thanks to the wonderfully knowledgeable and available trainers at TSE, I now know to carry my leader with me everywhere. If Greta gets riled up, it goes on. If she’s at home and barks at the doorbell, it goes on. If she barks while in the car, it goes on. She settles right down, and the space between incidents grows longer every time. I use it maybe once or twice a month right now.




Of course, we’re gearing up for another trip at the end of this month. We’re meeting my parents in Branson, Missouri to go to a Weekend to Remember conference and do some sightseeing. This time, however, my husband and I will drive there instead of flying. I hope that will reduce some of Greta’s travel stress, but I think I’ll just keep the leader on her whenever she works with me on the trip. I’d rather pre-empt stress behaviour than wait for it to manifest and have to correct her more often.




And now, as promised, cute puppy pictures.




Greta enjoyed the Seattle aquarium as much as we did!







Greta demonstrates how to safely ride the subway when one has four paws, a tail, and a nose that might get stepped on! As soon as we boarded and found somewhere to stand, she huddled up against the wall so I could protect her with my body. Good girl!

“Please keep your arms and legs inside the railing at all times.” Tiered galleries at the undersea dome in the Seattle Aquarium make it easier for everyone – even dogs – to see the beautiful coral and fish habitat.












Can you find the nose in this picture? Don’t be fooled by the cuteness in the previous picture – this is how services dogs are supposed to ride on airplanes!





Someone needs a vacation...

No comments:

Post a Comment